wainscoting in the bedroom

7.28.2011



Ok, so I found this amazing tutorial on how to put wainscoting up. And I just knew I had to try it in my bedroom. You see, my husband doesn't like things hanging over his head and I just couldn't ever find a headboard that I liked, so instead of buying one, we decided to just put up wainscoting and use that as a headboard instead. Plus our room is super small (like 11'x10') and a headboard would just make it smaller.


(this is the before picture)

We've lived in this house for 2 years and we finally got around to painting our bedroom. I've hated it since we've moved in. The paint was this nasty peachy creamy color, but the worst part....the previous owners had painted it with flat paint and then touched it up with glossy paint every where. So whenever I looked at the walls I could see the different finished. Lame, super lame.



(another before picture)

(and this is the after)


We were originally going to paint it greenish-blue and brown, but the brown I got, looked a little different then I had hoped, so we went back to the store and got the color, Zinc from the Martha Stewart line at Home Depot. Doesn't it look like 20x's better than it did before? I still have some more things I'd like to do, like pictures on the walls, a tall painted bookshelf and pillows for the bed, but I just had to post it! We're not quite sure about the curtains either. Do tall curtains make a small bedroom look bigger or smaller? Anyone know that answer. Have any other thoughts on what you'd do to make this bedroom POP even more? I'd love to hear your ideas!

Oh, and if you're wondering.... Bed Spread and Curtains are both Dwell Studio for Target. The curtains are actually a table cloth...

Lamp shades are also from Target. Mirror, antique....it was Chris' grandma's mirror. I love it!

11 comments:

jed-laura said...

looks real nice and airy.

what lights to you have overhead? That may be a place you can really add a wow factor with a nice ceiling hugging fixture. Try googling lights fantastic for a HUGE selection of tons of light options.

Linsey said...

It looks amazing! Yes, taller curtains do, in general, give the illusion of the window being larger than it is. But the scale of the pattern of the curtains you have is such that I think it might overwhelm the size of your room if they were full length. I'd say stick with what you have, or do tall curtains with a smaller-scale print? I agree on finding a cool idea for your ceiling light--there is a lot of room for play there. Excited to see what else you guys do!

Jo said...

Super cute! I must look at Target.com too much because I recognized the Dwell Studio prints! Haha, I like the bold print of the curtains, I might just add a solid color to the bottom to add length. Like a solid brown or blue. I've seen that in a lot of model homes.

Jenette said...

It looks great...when are you coming to help me decorate mine ;)

The Johstoneaux Family said...

LOVE it Muffin! Your wainscoting looks so good!

Olivia McCord said...

You rocked it Muffin. I'm very impressed!!!

Carlie said...

I love it! Makes me want to do the same thing to our room...is that bad? I agree with just adding a solid color to the bottom of the curtains. Great job on the room!!!!

Jarom & Corinne said...

love it!!!

Pretty Neat Designs said...

It looks so good! I love the colors and patterns together. And the antique mirror is really gorgeous.

Whitney said...

It looks great. I love your bedding and curtains!

Scrubber said...

I made curtains from the same tablecloth! I ended up putting a band of cloth (in the blue shade) along the top, instead of the bottom -- I think it turned out well.